Where’s the Beach? Chicken Katsu and Hawaiian Macaroni Salad

by Alyssa on January 12, 2012

in Cooking, Food

When I used to work in Long Beach, my coworkers and I had a Friday lunch tradition of lunch together, usually Hawaiian food. I had a lot of fried shrimp and fried mahi-mahi in those days, not to mention the heaping ice cream scoops of macaroni salad.

Upon relocating to San Diego, I quickly found that Hawaiian food is a rarity especially in north San Diego. I decided to try my hand at making chicken katsu using this Where’s The Beach? Chicken Katsu recipe and this Hawaiian Macaroni Salad recipe. The chicken katsu turned out crispy without being oily. The macaroni salad recipe made a TON of macaroni salad. It was a pretty decent recipe, but was a little bit more loose than I prefer my macaroni salad. Next time, I will reduce or completely omit the vinegar from the macaroni salad. Both recipes were pretty easy and the hardest part was allowing the macaroni salad to chill in the fridge without dunking my fork in it for a bite!

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Kirk January 13, 2012 at 8:19 am

I know what I want for lunch today Alyssa! Looks good…though making mac salad with a pound of macaroni is enoguh for at least 14-15 plates…unless you love mac salad that much!

2 Alyssa January 15, 2012 at 8:14 am

We ended up eating macaroni salad for lunch and dinner for almost a week! I was also able to give a generous portion away to my friends. I think the closest Hawaiian food to me is L&L in San Marcos and can you believe I’ve never tried L&L? Looks like it’s going to happen soon…

3 Asmita January 15, 2012 at 10:40 am

Looks yummy!!!

4 Alyssa January 19, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Both recipes satisfy the strong craving for Hawaiian food that we sometimes get! Thanks for visiting, Asmita!

5 Mary January 16, 2012 at 10:05 am

For some reason, it has never occurred to me to make my own katsu! I bet I could do it. Yours looks so good! Why do I read blogs before lunch??

6 Alyssa January 19, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I always have panko crumbs in my cupboard to make chicken katsu or I’ll indulge and make fried mozzarella stick, but I don’t serve them together!