It was one of those days that I came home to a predicament: there was nothing to eat. I had exhausted all my salad ingredients and salad dressing the day before and I had one lonely boiled egg in the refrigerator, so I couldn’t make egg salad. I also had an avocado, which sounded tasty, but not quite substantial on its own. So I threw the lone boiled egg and avocado together with some other ingredients and it turned out quite good!
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Boiled egg
- 1.5 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijion mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon wedge
- Red onion
- Lettuce leaves
- Salt & pepper
- Begin by washing the lettuce leaves and thinly slicing the red onion.
- In a bowl, add the peeled boiled egg, sliced avocado, mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice.
- With a spoon, mash up the avocado while also cutting into the boiled egg and mixing the mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice together.
- Add salt and ground pepper to taste.
- To assemble: arrange lettuce leaves on a plate and top each leaf with sliced red onion. Top each leaf with a mound of avocado egg salad.
This was really refreshing and enough to tide me over thanks to the protein in the egg and fat content of the avocado and mayonnaise. Use any kind of lettuce leaves you have on hand, add sliced tomatoes if you have them, or put it between two slices of bread! I could see this as a dip for pita slices as well.